Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The First Appointment

Eight short days after our physicals, we had our first appointment with Dr. K.  It pains me to say this but Dr. K is affiliated with The University of kansas Medical Center and as an avid MU Tiger, putting my baby hopes in the hands of a jayhawk is NOT my idea of a good time.  I guess this is one of those times where you swallow your pride and get over it.

JPug and I arrived at the office just before 8:30am on August 11th, filled out a slew of paperwork and were ushered back into Dr. K’s office.  A resident came in before Dr. K and began jotting down notes as we discussed our medical history and process to date.  I handed over my medical record from the clinic at my previous employer, the basal body temperature chart we tracked from November to April and my cycle dates and lengths for the last 12 months.  I had followed the Boy Scout motto to a T…we were prepared.

After a while, Dr. K entered the room and we started from the beginning…again.  Her appearance wasn’t notable…white doctor’s coat, average height, average build and average brown hair similar to mine.  She looked a few years older than JPug and me but not so many that we would consider her out of touch with our reality.  I thought our initial visit would be getting to know Dr. K and the practice, discussing next steps, scheduling future appointments and we’d be on our merry way.  Interestingly enough, that was not the case.

After getting the best possible picture from a 15 minute conversation, Dr. K went into action mode.  Considering my initial impression of her, this seemed out of character as I definitely didn’t get the “action mode” vibe at first blush.  Good thing I kept an open mind and my mouth shut!  Before we knew what hit us, Dr. K started rattling off a list of tests that she would complete that day, future orders she wanted for JPug and me, and finally addressed something that had been in the back of my mind for a long time...my TSH.

My previous and current PCPs were both on the mildly concerned side of interested when it came to my TSH but Dr. K basically rolled her eyes and said the buck stops here.  She went on to explain that my TSH had been on the high end of the spectrum long enough that it didn’t make sense to continue testing (and getting the same results) before treatment.  She wrote me a prescription for an extremely low dose of synthetic thyroid hormone which I started taking that afternoon.  I'll explain more about TSH, my previous results and Dr. K's decision to act immediately in a future post.

After we finished in her office, Dr. K moved us into an exam room but in an effort to NOT make this the longest post ever, I'll save those details for my next post...stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. kamagra effervescent 100 mg It belongs to a group of medicines known as phosphodiesterase type 5 PDE 5 inhibitors. it is a prescription medicine used to treat erectile dysfunction in men. It works by increasing blood flow to the penis. This helps men to get or maintain an erection.

    ReplyDelete