Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Just Getting Started

I’ve considered the possibility of blogging for quite some time.  Having been away from my hometown for nearly 10 years and college for more than 5 (eek…that makes me feel old), I thought it would be a good opportunity to keep friends and family in the loop without repeating myself over and over again.  Plus, I’m mediocre at best when it comes to staying in touch so allowing folks to seek me out and read updates when it was convenient for them seemed like a good option.  

I regularly read a handful of blogs…some are written by well known bloggers and others are friends writing about their lives and experiences.  A close family friend and avid blogger passed away suddenly this past spring…her family was able to back-up everything from her blog and have her thoughts, feelings, stories and observations as they remembered her and began to heal.  One might think her passing would inspire me to begin blogging myself but unfortunately, it didn’t.  I considered blogging before…while she was still here on Earth…and still couldn’t get started after her passing.

My reasons for taking such time to begin a blog are…admittedly…ridiculous.  I couldn’t get my blog to look just right (it’s still a work in progress) and hated the fact that I would be putting time and effort into something that might just downright suck (failure and I do not get along).  All the while, things were happening in my life that I wanted to share and speak openly and honestly about and the one thing holding me back was…me.  Luckily I got over myself, realized that the look of the blog may not be perfect and the posts may not be earth-shattering but the blog itself would give me the opportunity to share what I’ve been keeping inside…good, bad or indifferent.

I’ll warn you, a good majority of the first posts are about a serious topic that’s brought a lot of sorrow over the last year.  I promise the blog won’t always be serious or sad because that’s not my personality…the serious stuff has just been weighing on my mind and I can’t wait to get it off.  Once that weight has been lifted, I’ll be sure to mix in a healthy dose of other topics including DIY projects and cooking (two of my favorite things) and anything else random that comes to mind.

So, I guess it’s official, my blog has begun.  Thank you for coming along with me on this journey!

3 comments: