Monday, January 27, 2014

A Few Thoughts on the Gym

This month, I started back at the gym after an almost two year hiatus.  Infertility treatments, pregnancy, a newborn, working full-time, and JPug’s work/travel schedule didn’t leave much opportunity for me-time.   When 2014 rolled around, I decided to make myself a priority which meant paying the neighbor girl to watch Elle for a couple of hours a week so I could go to the gym.  We had a Title Boxing Club membership that was on hold for nearly two years so back to Title I went (at least until July when the membership expires and I potentially look for something new).  Being at the gym after nearly two years hasn’t been the seamless transition I envisioned…here are a few thoughts from the last 3 weeks.
  • Since when is going to the gym a fashion show vs. actually working out?  The first day I showed up in my traditional running shorts and panhellenic (look at that…it has the word hell in it…maybe it was the subliminal message I never got) rush t-shirt.  Literally every other woman at the gym (not exaggerating!) was in skin tight capri-length yoga pants, a neon racerback tank, and neon tennis shoes.  Say what?!  I’m too cheap to buy fancy work-out clothes…my sweat-wash-repeat cycle isn’t worth it.
  • Try not to overexert yourself during the first 15 minutes of a 60 minute class.  What?!?!  My muscles have atrophied over the past 2 years and now I’m exhausted and can barely move?
  • Tuck jumps after having a baby will never be the same.  I tried a couple and nearly peed myself.  Now, I stick with the safer and less (potentially) messy lunges.
  • No matter how hard I try or how many days a week I go to the gym, the jiggly spare tire around my midsection will never go away.  Well, maybe it would go away if I gave up craft beer and bread but that’s just silly!
  • Every day I go to the gym I can feel myself getting stronger.  The impossible plank is becoming possible and the flutter kick/scissor kick combo isn’t complete torture.
I may never be my former fit self again but I’m making progress, carving out time for me, and making positive strides toward a healthier and happier 2014.

1 comment:

  1. buy super fildena online the most common adverse events were headache, palpitation, and flushing. Although several side effects were reported, these were mild and transient.

    ReplyDelete