Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Let’s Proceed

Alright, back to our first appointment with Dr. K... 

After we finished in her office, we moved into an exam room.  A technician asked me to undress from the waist down and get comfortable (seriously?!?!  this is one of the most uncomfortable things ever!).  A few minutes later, Dr. K entered the room with the resident and the technician.  So there we were, all five of us (Dr., resident, technician, JPug and me) in a 10 x 8 room trying not to stare at my hooha.  I typically ease awkwardness with humor so I ended up blurting out something to the effect of..."if I knew this was going to be such a big performance, I would have definitely practiced".  Not my best work but it eased the tension nonetheless.

The first two procedures were a pap smear to ensure everything seemed normal as well as a swab they would use for STD testing...pretty basic stuff.

The third procedure was a vaginal ultrasound that's performed from within the uterus (not the typical ultrasound you think of with jelly & a wand on a woman's abdomen).  It's basically a foot-long stick (maybe 2 inches in diameter) with a slightly larger ball at the end which is hooked up to a more traditional ultrasound machine/screen.  The doctor was able to navigate the stick to check my uterus and ovaries for abnormalities, take measurements, etc.  At one point the size of one ovary was much smaller than the other and I asked Dr. K about the difference.  Instead of voicing concern, she just wiggled the stick a bit and said other organs were obstructing the view.

After about 20 minutes, Dr. K was finished with the exam and said everything looked normal.  She commented that the opening to my cervix was unusually small which could hinder conception but otherwise, I was lookin' good...in my mind this was a big sigh of relief.  Prior to the appointment, I convinced myself that she'd say my insides closely resembled Quasimodo and we'd have no chance at conception.  Instead, I was happy to hear that I was 'normal'.   

Once we finished in the exam room, we moved to the on-site lab where they took about 5 tubes of blood each.  The results would provide baseline, genetic and additional STD information.  Three hours later, we were finished with our first appointment and felt like we were moving in the right direction.  About a week later, the office called with the results and everything (except my TSH...no surprise) was normal...yay! more normal. 

3 comments:

  1. Lainey, I had no idea. Lots of luck with this. We'll be praying for you! I know you'll be a good mom someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organs are weird. A few weeks ago they were looking for my ovary and couldn't find it, and she said "your uterus must have pushed it behind something else." LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sildenafil 120 mg is the most effective drug used in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. It is an inhibitor of phosphodiesterase enzyme action outcome in more bloodstream into the penis during sexual stimulation.

    ReplyDelete