Sunday, October 23, 2011

What's Next?


Well folks, it’s official…I’ve summed up the most important topic in the life of Team Pug over the past 17 months into 10 blog posts.  Thanks for bearing with me through the details & information as I let it all spill out.  I’ll be honest, it wasn’t pretty but it’s our reality and I’m glad to get the topic off my chest and out in the open.  At this point, you know the highlights of what we know and from here on out, I’ll write about “I” word topics if we have an update or something strikes me.  Now you’ll get to experience the process right along with us…in realish time.

Throughout the course of the blog I’ve had a couple questions that I’d like to address.  Don’t forget, you can always post your questions as a comment to the post and I’ll respond for all to read.

Q:  You provided a lot of facts and information through your blog but didn’t mix in much about your feelings...
A:  I’m feeling pretty good.  To be completely honest, infertility sucks but I’m thankful to be going through it because I learn more about the process, options and next steps every day.  If it wouldn’t be for the 8+ years of my life and the associated costs, I’d go to med school so I could really know what the heck I’m talking about.  Emotionally, I have good days and bad days (luckily the bad days are few and far between) and I’m really thankful to have an excellent support system of friends and family and a terrific husband. 

Q:  How is JPug feeling about all of this?
A (in his own words):  My first appearance as guest writer, I’m so excited (please note the sarcastic tone).  To be honest, my feelings about this process have been much more analytical and much less emotional than those of my better half.  With each step in this journey my mentality has been “Well, that didn’t work so what do we try next?”  I often feel like I could be a more supportive husband but have realized that listening is my best role.  Guys, don’t tell your wife that she is being too emotional.  That goes over like a turd in a punch bowl. 

I’m sure some probably feel that this blog is a little TMI (that’s Too Much Information for the 50 and over crowd) but we both feel that sharing this info may help others understand the process better and may help those dealing with similar difficulties realize that they are not alone.  I often wonder if people even really want to read everything that we post but figure that just the act of writing the post is a good outlet.  You all are an extension of my listening ears and I thank you.

Going forward, I’m as optimistic as an engineer can be given the: (((50% success rate) X (2% motility) / (2.5 TSH)) ^ (28 days per cycle))) = something we have no control over.  It’s engineering humor folks, I’m not sure how my wife puts up with me.  Regardless of what happens I know that Team Pug will make the best of the situation!”  

Q:  IUI’s success rate is pretty low…is it even worth going through IUI vs. IVF?
A:  Depending on the type of infertility issues a patient and her partner are trying to overcome, IUI can be totally worth it for some couples.  IUI is a much less invasive procedure and comes with less risk (less risk to the mother from a procedure-standpoint and a lower risk of multiple babies).  At less than 10% of the IVF cost, IUI is much easier to swallow financially.  Lastly, the IUI procedure can make a big difference for couples where the woman has a small cervical opening, for example (among other reasons)…the concentration and targeted placement of the man’s sample can make all the difference.

Q:  Can the doctor mix multiple samples from the man for a single IUI treatment?  
A:  Yes…but each sample takes 3 – 4 days to retrieve and samples must be cryogenically frozen in order to be preserved.  If a sample is frozen and thawed, deterioration is about 50%.  If low-count is the issue, cryogenically freezing and obtaining multiple samples isn’t usually the right answer for the couple.    

Some of you may be thinking…why in the heck is this girl airing her dirty laundry on the internet for all to read?  In one word, infertility is isolating.  At a time in our lives when everyone in our age bracket has baby-fever, infertility is the last thing on most people’s minds.  The blog gives me an opportunity to share our story and brings a topic that’s usually swept under the rug to light.  I’m not sharing so people feel sorry for us, I’m sharing so those who haven’t experienced infertility understand a different perspective and so those who have experienced infertility know they’re not alone.  If you know someone who is experiencing infertility, please don’t hesitate to share our story.

Enough of this “I” word stuff for a while…I have a whole post-it note full of other topics that I’ve been compiling for months and can’t wait to share.  My only problem now is what to write first!

1 comment:

  1. methyldopa 250 mg Tablet is used in the treatment of high blood pressure. Lowering the blood pressure helps prevent future heart attacks and stroke. is also used to treat high blood pressure during pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete