Monday, June 25, 2012

Busy Bee - Part 1


It’s been over a month since I’ve blogged…about anything…much less our growing Puglet.  The posts you’ve read over the past few weeks were written as we experienced the process.  Looking back, I’m really happy that I blogged (although I didn’t post) in real time because you know exactly what I was thinking and feeling in the moment.

Unfortunately, work got incredibly busy and my evenings were consumed with an urge to sleep that I just couldn’t fight which means blogging came to a complete halt.  Now…weeks later…I have my energy back and LOTS to catch up on.  I’m going to try and regurgitate everything in one post…so I apologize this will officially be the LONGEST post ever.  If it gets too bad, I’ll split it in two.  Happy reading!

Search for a Birth Doula (early May)
After a round of positive blood tests and multiple and promising ultrasounds, TeamPug’s first order of business was searching for and securing a birth doula.  The quick and dirty regarding a doula…a doula is a person who meets with the expectant family during pregnancy to discuss beliefs and concerns about labor and delivery.  She’ll provide continuous support during labor and delivery using comfort measures and positioning and assists with beginning breastfeeding.

Our quest for a doula was three-fold…

The OB practice we’re visiting has a rotation of 6 providers we’ll see throughout the pregnancy.  When I go into labor, whoever is on-call doctor will be the person to deliver our baby.  The provider may or may not be someone I’ve built a relationship with during my pregnancy.  Having a doula ensures that someone we have a connection with and are very comfortable with is present come delivery day.

Speaking of delivery day, the doula will come to our home and help me through early labor in a more comfortable environment.  Once we move to the hospital, the doula will serve as a supporter and advocate and will help us understand the medical jargon and various questions/decisions that come our way.  Going the doula route isn’t right for everyone but the lady we chose seems to be a great fit for Team Pug.

12 Weeks (Wednesday, May 9th)
I hit the crucial, 12-week mark on Wednesday, May 9th…yay!  All-in-all, I’ve felt great.  No nausea or sensitivity to smells or tastes.  There were a few days I felt the slightest bit nauseous but I’d have a glass of Sprite or Ginger Ale and eat more frequent, smaller meals which did the trick.  My only real side-effect was being tired.  Most evenings, I’d come home from work…nap for a couple of hours…get up for an hour (maybe two) and sleep the rest of the night.  Plus, when I was “awake”, I definitely wasn’t productive…sitting on the couch was sometimes the extent of my productivity.

Genetic Testing (Friday, May 11th)
During our first appointment with the OB, the nurse practioner offered the option to have pre-delivery genetic testing completed.  TeamPug is of the “Knowledge is Power” school of thought so we didn’t think twice about having the tests done.  On Friday, May 11th, we went to another hospital in the KC metro for testing. 

Our appointment started with a consultation with a genetic counselor.  She took about 45 minutes discussing family and health history as well as our various risk factors given age and cultural background.  Next, we had an ultrasound to check the fluid measurement at the back of our baby’s neck (fluid accumulation, which would lead to a larger measurement could signal a genetic issue) as well as blood tests to check for markers for Down Syndrome, Trisomy 18 and Cystic Fibrosis. 

The ultrasound gave us another opportunity to see our growing Puglet.  It’s incredible because in just two weeks, the short, gummy bear-like arms and legs have turned into much longer and clearly distinguishable arms and legs…and you can easily see the makings of hands and feet.  After a little coaxing, Puglet got into the correct position and the sonographer was able to get the neck measurement she was looking for.  The “normal” range for my age and gestation was anything below 2.5 and Puglet’s neck measured 1.4.

From there, we met with a Perinatologist to discuss the results of my initial blood draw at the OB’s office.  The results showed that I was positive for RH sensitivity which can cause issues for the baby if the baby’s blood mixes with mine (if both blood types aren’t negative) during pregnancy.  Although the results were positive for sensitivity, my blood couldn’t be titered which is a really good sign.  Basically, once the lab gets a positive result from a sample, they cut the sample in half and test it again...and repeat the process until the result is negative.  My initial sample was positive but they were unable to get a positive reading after they cut it in half (the processing of titering) so the Perinatologist thought the positive result was likely a fluke.  I’ll have my blood drawn to check for RH sensitivity again at a future appointment…the OB office and Perinatologist will determine a course of action based on the results.

1 comment:

  1. sildamax 100 mg for ED lasts about four hours. It reaches peak concentrations in about an hour, so it's best to take sildenafil 30 to 60 minutes before sex.

    ReplyDelete