Thursday, February 9, 2012

Lend a Hand | Discover Something New

Over the past year or so, I’ve made an effort to volunteer more of my time.  I’ve been a committee chair for the local Mizzou business alumni chapter for years but wanted something more.  Last fall, I began mentoring a local girl once a week at an elementary school near work.  She and I eat lunch, work on academics, talk about life lessons and play games.  This spring, I’m looking forward to volunteering with a local chapter of Girls on the Run which is a program that combines self-esteem/character development with running for young girls.  I also joined the Mizzou Alumni Association’s volunteer group where I have the opportunity to meet other MU alumni while participating in various volunteer events throughout the KC metro area.

This past Monday, I participated in one of those events.  We received an e-mail blast a few weeks ago asking for volunteers for “CCVI Food Fight”.  I’m not one to have any preference when it comes to volunteer duties…I checked my calendar to confirm the date was open and signed up.  Honestly, I’m not even sure I knew what “CCVI” stood for before my shift began.

I arrived at the location, Studio Dan Meiners (not an art studio but rather an event space...who'da thought?), around 5p and checked-in for my shift.  The event started at 5:30p, so I had some time to explore.  For an amateur foodie such as myself, this place was practically heaven.  The exterior of the room was lined with banquet tables…each table was set up for 1 or 2 local restaurants…Roasterie, Rm. 39, Lidia’s, Michael Smith, The American, Blue Bird Bistro, Aces, Baby Cakes…I could go on and on but there were probably 15 different local restaurants showcasing their fare.  A handful of local bars and breweries provided an unlimited supply of specialty cocktails, craft beers, and wine.  Attendees came in waves…the first at 5:30p and the second at 6:30p (depending on ticket price) and were given a token to vote for their favorite food.  Around 7:30, the main event began…3 local, well-knows chefs squared off in a throw-down type competition complete with a judging panel and a coveted “Food Fight Champion” title.

Here's a picture of the chefs and sous-chefs from the Food Fight. 
Chef Jennifer Maloney, Chef Patrick Ryan, Chef Ryan's Sous Chef David Crum,
Chef Mahoney's Sous Chef Janet Ross, Chef Smith's Sous Chefs Jonathan Nunez and Chef Michael Smith

All proceeds from the event (ticket sales, auction items, etc.) went to benefit CCVI… Children’s Center for the Visually Impaired whose mission is “to prepare children with visual impairments, including those with multiple disabilities, to reach their highest potential in the sighted world”.

Wow, what a great event for a great cause!  I can honestly say I’d have no idea something like this even existed in KC if I hadn’t decided to lend a hand.  Check out CCVI’s website to learn more about the organization and keep tabs on when the 2013 Food Fight takes place.

No comments:

Post a Comment