Thursday, January 19, 2012

Twenty ‘12

This post was originally written much closer to the new year.  Now that all IUI posts have been published, let's move forward...

Considering 2011 went out with a bang, 2012 brings new opportunities, fresh perspective and a welcome change for Team Pug.  Although I’m not much for iron-clad resolutions, I thought I’d share a few ‘areas of improvement’ I identified and will hopefully develop in 2012.

Embrace the Positive, Ignore the Negative
TeamPug has so many wonderful, positive people and things in our lives.  From big picture (freedom, clean water) to everyday (home, job, friends & family) to completely frivolous (JPug’s roadster, enjoying a local lake during summer) we are two lucky peeps.  Amid all the wonderful, I can’t help but magnify our struggles with infertility to a point where one bad overshadows so much good.  It’s my nature to be a positive person and I believe I am on the outside but I have to let go of some of my inner sadness and frustration as it pertains to infertility because I’m only making the road ahead longer and harder on myself and JPug.

Don’t Overdo It
I’m a list maker.  On any given day, you can open my planner (yes, handwritten…circa 1990…insert snarky comment here) and find a laundry list of things to do.  Some things fall into the ‘tonight’ category while others fall into ‘this week’ or ‘eventually’.  Most weeks my list is so long that I could work every minute from the time I get home in the evening to the time I go to bed and not accomplish everything.  This year, I’m going to take my list one item, one day at a time.  I want to cross one item off my list per day and let some of my productivity machine, unachievable high standards fall to the wayside.   

Perfection is Not the Key
One of my high school teachers always preached the phrase (or something very similar) “Nothing is worth doing if it’s not done perfectly”.  For years, striving for perfection is how I lived my life…exhausting, right?!  Luckily, JPug started breaking down that barrier and I’ve gotten a lot better over the years.  I definitely still have my moments but my hope for 2012 is that I realize (in the heat of the moment) that if something isn’t going exactly as planned…that’s perfectly O.K.  99% of the time everything works out just fine so why cause undue stress?

More Pictures, Please
This is completely ridiculous…but it’s true.  I’m HORRIBLE at taking pictures.  If it wouldn’t have been for vacation last spring, I don’t think I would have pulled the camera out all year.  Years down the line, I don’t want meaningless pictures of every inconsequential day but having a picture or two of birthdays, Christmas or New Year’s Eve might be nice.  I’ll start by having the battery charged and camera in my purse…actually taking pictures will have to come next…baby steps, folks!

No matter what your resolution, we hope 2012 brings you and yours health, love and laughter.  Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I love how you guys bring out the best in each other! If I didn't hate hashtags, I would say: #awesomemarriages

    ReplyDelete